Allah told us about the idolaters who reject faith through their demand that the punishment be hastened, inquiring about the time of punishment. The response to such question is not inherently beneficial, yet they inquired anyway. Allah said:
(Those who believe not therein seek to hasten it, while those who believe are fearful of it, and know that it is the very truth.) (42:18) They know that it is the truth for it is definitely going to happen. It is going to take place even if they have no idea when it will occur. This is why Allah instructed His Messenger to answer them saying:
(Say: "I have no power over any harm or profit to myself.'') (10:49, 7:188) I will not say except what He has taught me. I also have no authority over anything that Allah has not shown to me. I am Allah's servant and His Messenger to you. I was told that the Hour is going to come, but He has not told me when it will occur. But,
(For every Ummah, there is a term appointed;) meaning that for every generation or community there is a set term appointed for them. When the end of that term approaches,
(neither can they delay it nor can they advance it an hour (or a moment). ) This is similar to what Allah said in another Ayah:
(And Allah grants respite to none when his appointed time (death) comes.) )63:11( Allah instructed His Messenger to tell the people that His punishment would come suddenly. He said:
(Say: "Tell me, if His torment should come to you by night or by day, which portion thereof would the criminals hasten on Is it then that when it has actually befallen, you will believe in it What! Now (you believe) And you used (aforetime) to hasten it on!'') When the punishment befalls them, they will say:
("Our Lord! We have now seen and heard.'') (32:12) Allah also said:
(So when they saw Our punishment, they said: "We believe in Allah alone and reject (all) that we used to associate with Him as (His) partners. Then their faith could not avail them when they saw Our punishment. (Like) this has been the way of Allah in dealing with His servants. And there the disbelievers lost utterly (when Our torment covered them).'') (40:84-85)
(Then it will be said to them who wronged themselves: "Taste you the everlasting torment!'') This will be said to them on the Day of Resurrection, blaming and rebuking them. As Allah said in another Ayah:
(The Day when they will be pushed down by force to the fire of Hell, with a horrible, forceful pushing. This is the Fire that you used to belie. Is this magic or do you not see Taste you therein its heat and whether you are patient of it or impatient of it, it is all the same. You are only being requited for what you used to do.) (52:13-16)
(53. And they ask you to inform them (saying): "Is it true'' Say: "Yes! By my Lord! It is the very truth! And you cannot escape it!'') (54. And if every person who had wronged, possessed all that is on the earth and sought to ransom himself therewith (it will not be accepted), and they would feel in their hearts regret when they see the torment, and they will be judged with justice, and no wrong will be done unto them.)
Allah said that they ask you to inform them (saying):
("Is it true'') asking about the return and the Resurrection from the graves, after the bodies become sand.
(Say: "Yes! By my Lord! It is the very truth! And you cannot escape it!'') meaning that becoming sand does not make Allah incapable of bringing you back, since He originated you from nothing.
(Verily, His command, when He intends a thing, is only that He says to it, `Be!' - and it is!) (36:82) There are only two other Ayat in the Qur'an similar to this. Allah commands His Messenger to give an oath by Him to answer those who deny the return. He said in Surah Saba',
(Those who disbelieve say: "The Hour will not come to us.'' Say: "Yes, by my Lord!, it will come to you.'') (34:3) The second is in Surat At-Taghabun, He said:
(The disbelievers claimed that they will never be resurrected. Say: "Yes! By my Lord! you will certainly be resurrected, then you will be informed of (and recompensed for) what you did; and that is easy for Allah.'') (64:7) Then Allah informed us that when the Resurrection is established the disbelievers will wish that they could ransom themselves from Allah's punishment with the equivalent of the weight of the earth in gold.
(And they would feel in their hearts regret when they see the torment, and they will be judged with justice, and no wrong will be done unto them.)
(55. No doubt, surely, all that is in the heavens and the earth belongs to Allah. No doubt, surely, Allah's promise is true. But most of them know not.) (56. It is He Who gives life, and causes death, and to Him you (all) shall return.) Allah is the Owner of the heavens and earth. His promise is true and is indeed going to be fulfilled. He is the One Who gives life and causes death. To Him is the return of everyone, and He is the One who has the power over that, and the One Who knows everything about every creature; its deterioration, and where every speck of it has gone, be it land, oceans or otherwise.
(57. O mankind! There has come to you good advice from your Lord, and a cure for that which is in your breasts, -- a guidance and a mercy for the believers.) (58. Say: "In the bounty of Allah, and in His mercy; therein let them rejoice.'' That is better than what (the wealth) they amass.)
Allah confers a great favor on His creatures in what He has sent down of the Gracious Qur'an to His Noble Messenger. He said:
(O mankind! There has come to you good advice from your Lord.) A warning and a shield from shameful deeds.
(and a cure for that which is in your breasts,) A cure from suspicion and doubts. The Qur'an removes all the filth and Shirk from the hearts.
(a guidance and a mercy) The guidance and the mercy from Allah are attained through it. This is only for those who believe in it and have firm faith in what it contains. As Allah said:
(And We send down of the Qur'an that which is a cure and a mercy to those who believe, and it increases the wrongdoers nothing but loss.) (17:82) and;
(Say: "It is for those who believe, a guide and a cure.'') (41:44) Allah then said:
(Say: "In the bounty of Allah, and in His mercy; therein let them rejoice.'') rejoice in what has come from Allah. Let them rejoice in the guidance and the religion of the truth. It is better than anything they might rejoice in,
That is better than what (the wealth) they amass. from the ruins of the world and its vanishing bloom undoubtedly.
(59. Say: "Tell me, what provision Allah has sent down to you! And you have made of it lawful and unlawful.'' Say: "Has Allah permitted you (to do so), or do you invent a lie against Allah'') (60. And what think those who invent a lie against Allah, on the Day of Resurrection Truly, Allah is full of bounty to mankind, but most of them are ungrateful.)
Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid, Ad-Dahhak, Qatadah, `Abdur-Rahman bin Zayd bin Aslam and others said: "This Ayah was revealed to criticize the idolaters for what they used to make lawful and unlawful. Like the Bahirah, Sa'ibah and Wasilah.'' As Allah said:
(And they assign to Allah a share of the tilth and cattle which He has created.) (6:136) Imam Ahmad recorded a narration from Malik bin Nadlah who said, "I came to Allah's Messenger while in filthy clothes. He said,
(Do you have wealth) I answered, `Yes.' He said,
(what kind of wealth) I answered, `All kinds; camels, slaves, horses, sheep.' So he said,
(If Allah gives you wealth, then let it be seen on you.) Then he said,
(It is not that your camels are born with healthy ears, you take a knife and cut them, then say, "This is a Bahr,'' tear its skin, then say, `This is a Sarm,'' and prohibit them for yourself and your family) I replied, `Yes.' He said,
(What Allah has given you is lawful. Allah's Forearm is stronger than your forearm, and Allah's knife is sharper then your knife.)'' And he mentioned the Hadith in its complete form, and the chain for this Hadith is a strong, good chain. Allah criticized those who make lawful what Allah has made unlawful or vice verse. This is because they are based on mere desires and false opinions that are not supported with evidence or proof. Allah then warned them with a promise of the Day of Resurrection. He asked:
(And what think those who invent a lie against Allah, on the Day of Resurrection) What do they think will happen to them when they return to Us on the Day of Resurrection Ibn Jarir said that Allah's statement:
(Truly, Allah is full of bounty to mankind,) indicated that the bounty is in postponing their punishment in this world. I (Ibn Kathir) say, the meaning could be that the Grace for people is in the good benefits that He made permissible for them in this world or in their religion. He also has not prohibited them except what is harmful to them in their world and the Hereafter.
(but most of them are ungrateful.) So they prohibited what Allah has bestowed upon them and made it hard and narrow upon themselves. They made some things lawful and others unlawful. The idolaters committed these actions when they set laws for themselves. And so did the People of the Book when they invented innovations in their religion.
(61. Neither you do any deed nor recite any portion of the Qur'an, nor you do any deed, but We are Witness thereof when you are doing it. And nothing is hidden from your Lord (so much as) the weight of a speck of dust on the earth or in the heaven. Not what is less than that or what is greater than that but is (written) in a Clear Record.)